Sunday, April 1, 2018

Sorting Items by Smell in the Special Education Classroom

Sorting Items by Smell Vocational Task for the Special Education Classroom

I'm always looking for new ways to challenge my students, and this one I'm really excited about! I've taken small lip gloss tubes and filled each one with a cotton ball soaked in soap scents. The student then smells each tube, and places it on the Velcro square by the cooresponding image of what they smelled.


My students love this challenge! It's a bit of a break from their usual tasks, because really, how often do we actually use our nose? I always make sure my tasks relate to real-world generalization, so I have to ask myself "How could they use this at a job or home?" I think in a lot of ways...

"Is this milk good, or sour?"
"Are these socks clean or dirty?"
"Is this chili powder or cinnamon?"
"Did I put on too much cologne for work today?"


So task this may not directly relate to any specific job skill, but I think it's also fun for the students, and still works on the skills of being able to organize and catalog specific items. Also, it might just be novel enough to capture the interest of struggling learners!

  •  Overall Price: $5-7 for all materials (I had them on hand)
  • Difficulty level: Basic
  • Skills focused on: Fine motor skills, scent identification, basic categorization skills
  •  
Want to try it out, but not right now? Pin the image below to Pinterest to come back to it later, and thanks for looking!



No comments:

Post a Comment